Saturday, December 04, 2004

Persona

PERSONA (1966) - Dec. 4, 2004
A bizarre film by Ingmar Bergman. While the plot - dealing with the relationship between two women - is pretty standard Bergman, the way it plays out is certainly different. Particularly odd is the beginning, which features a lot of strange images and sounds, and almost seems like a parody of an arty foreign movie. This weirdness reoccurs at around the mid-point of the movie, and I guess it's supposed to represent the breakdown of the relationship between the two women because it happens right as things go sour. I don't know. And then it happens again at the end and I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. This is certainly Bergman's most visually-driven movie, at least that I've seen. And while it was definitely well-made I couldn't really get into it. There was the typical Bergman slow pace, which didn't help, and then towards the end I was really starting to get confused. Where the two women actually supposed to be one woman? I don't know. **

No comments: