Sunday, December 05, 2004

The Incredibles

THE INCREDIBLES (2004) - Dec. 5, 2004
Well, I'm sorry, but I have to say it: that was incredible! Oh man, that ruled HARD. I haven't seen a movie that good in quite a while. About a couple of super-heroes who are forced into retirement, and subsequently settle down and have a family. I liked the Watchmen-esque idea that all super-heroes become outlawed; it seems like the most plausible outcome if super-heroes were a reality. I also really like the main character and his inability to adapt to civilian life -- after living the life of a super-hero, being a low-level drone in an insurance company just can't seem to cut it. Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter were both perfect as the two main characters, and Jason Lee was equally good as the villain (though I have to wonder if the role was originally meant for Jack Black...). I also really liked the whole Fantastic Four inspired family dynamic they had, and how they really clicked as a family while being super-heroes. Speaking of which, I hope the director of the Fantastic Four movie was watching, because I think they pretty much got the stretchy powers perfect in this movie. I always thought those powers would look kind of creepy in motion but Brad Bird certainly makes it work. The movie struck an absolutely perfect blend of action and character stuff, and a good amount of humour too. This was easily right up there with the Toy Story movies, and as far as super-hero movies go, I think it might even be better than Spider-Man 2. ****

No comments: