Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I, Robot

I, ROBOT (2004) - Dec. 15, 2004 (Second Viewing)
I really like this movie. Alex Proyas certainly knows what he's doing as this movie features the coolest looking future since Blade Runner. There's a good amount of action, but it never overwhelms the plot. Plus the action is actually coherent and not way over-edited like almost every action movie these days. Proof that an action scene doesn't need a billion cuts to be exciting (I'm looking at you, Paul Greengrass). The characters and performances were all really good -- Will Smith in particular is surprisingly good as a detective who doesn't trust robots. And the special effects were quite impressive and almost entirely seamless. Proof that CG doesn't necessarily have to look fake (now I'm looking at you, George Lucas). As far as the sci-fi/action genre goes this is right up there with Total Recall. ****

No comments: