Saturday, April 03, 2004

Hellboy

HELLBOY (2004) - April 3, 2004
Perhaps it's because it's been such a long time since I've seen a movie in the theatres, but I enjoyed this quite a lot. Right from the beginning, with all the stuff with the Nazis, I was into it. The movie was action-packed, but the action never felt overwhelming. I really liked the character of Hellboy, and all his wisecracks (shouting "it's for you!" as he slams a ringing phone into a bad guy's head -- gold). I also liked the character of Abe Sapien. Plus that Nazi assassin who kept winding himself up was really cool. Guillermo Del Toro's super-rapid editing during action scenes didn't bother me nearly as much as it did during Blade 2. In fact, I only really noticed it a little bit in the first action sequence (with the Nazis). Just a really fun movie. Definitely makes me want to read the comics. Hopefully it'll do well so they'll make some sequels. ***1/2

No comments: