Thursday, April 22, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004) - April 22, 2004 (S)
The latest weird Charlie Kaufman movie, and certainly the best of the bunch (that I've seen, at least). Jim Carrey (in what is easily his best performance, and most understated) plays a guy whose ex-girlfriend has him erased from her mind, so he decides to do the same. Jim Carrey's character (who is somewhat Barry Egan-esque) became someone I really cared about. A lot of weird stuff happens in the movie, but it never seemed like weirdness for weirdnesses sake (like most other Charlie Kaufman movies). I liked how the beginning was actually the end. I didn't figure that out until towards the end, so that was pretty good. Anyway, I think this was essentially a character study dressed up in a really fancy wrapper. And it was a good character study. ***1/2

No comments: