Sunday, March 27, 2011

Paul


PAUL (2011) - Mar. 27, 2011
Though not quite on the same level as the previous two Simon Pegg / Nick Frost collaborations, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I don't think this was aiming quite as high.  That's not a slight on this film; Paul is perfectly content to be a laid-back road movie (with an action-heavy third act), rather than the more involved genre deconstructions of Dead and Fuzz, and on that level it suceeds quite admirably.  I really, really enjoyed this movie.  It helps that Pegg and Frost have amazing chemistry -- I think at this point they're inching their way onto the list of all-time great movie duos.  In fact, I think the opening 15 minutes or so, before they actually meet Paul and the plot starts kicking in, may have been the best part of the film.  I certainly enjoyed all the alien road trip shenanigans, but Pegg and Frost are so great together I would have been perfectly happy if the whole thing had just been a plotless ride across the country.  ***1/2

No comments: