Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Black Dahlia

THE BLACK DAHLIA (2006) - Nov. 18, 2006
A somewhat mediocre film by Brian De Palma. De Palma's direction was probably the highlight, as the film was filled with his usual stylistic quirks. At the same time it almost felt like he was on autopilot, like De Palma-by-numbers. The film's plot was ridiculously convoluted, featuring so many subplots and twists that when the credits rolled I was left scratching my head, wondering what I had just seen. The performances were mostly okay; Aaron Eckhart was good, but Josh Hartnett was blander than usual, if that's even possible. Hilary Swank gave a good performance, and seemed to be the only one trying to affect a '40s accent, though I can't say I buy her as any sort of seductress (she looks as mannish as ever in the film). The film was very long, and while I was basically entertained the whole time, a shorter, less convoluted movie would have been nice. **1/2

No comments: