Sunday, February 20, 2005

Red

RED (1994) - Feb. 20, 2005
This film, about a woman who strikes up a friendship with a retired judge who eavesdrops on his neighbours' phone calls, is probably the best of the "three colours" trilogy. However, it shares the same flaws as the other two (the main character is never really fully developed). This is essentially a minor quibble, as the film is well made and certainly entertaining from start to finish. The problem (and the problem I had with the other two) is that I was expecting a masterpiece along the lines of the Decalogue. These three films were all good, definitely, but not great. They all seem like the type of movie that would improve on repeat viewings, so perhaps when I revist them in a few years I'll find that I like them better. ***

No comments: