Friday, February 18, 2005

Blue

BLUE (1993) - Feb. 18, 2005
About a woman who loses her husband and son in a car crash, this film is seemingly pointless and somewhat disappointing. I'm willing to give Kieslowski the benefit of the doubt, since the Decalogue was so excellent, and I don't know, maybe I just didn't get it. Perhaps if I ever watch it again I'll understand what the movie was trying to say, but as it stands now the whole thing seems sort of pointless to me. Juliette Binoche was reasonably good as the woman dealing with her grief, but her character seems to react to the loss by going into shock and holding her emotions inside, which is well and good, but it makes it sort of hard to ever come to care about her or even really know her, since she rarely speaks. And since the movie is entirely plotless and completely about her character, it makes it kind of hard to ever really get into it. I don't know; it seems like the type of movie that might improve on repeat viewings, but right now I think it went over my head. **1/2

No comments: