Thursday, April 08, 2010

American Graffiti


AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973) - April 8, 2010
Meh. Wasn’t crazy about this one. I guess the streak of really good movies had to end eventually. Not that this was a bad movie, but it’s not exactly something I’m going to run out to add to my collection.  I should note that the original original Star Wars trilogy (ie. the non-adulterated versions) are among my favourite films of all time, so this is a movie that I’ve been meaning to watch for a while. American Graffiti is the last film George Lucas made before moving on to Star Wars, and along with THX 1138, it’s the only feature film that he directed without the words star and wars in the title.  So what was wrong with it? Lucas’ direction is fine, if nothing particularly spectacular. The performances were all good (and it was kind of neat seeing a really young Harrison Ford and Richard Dreyfuss). But the film feels long and meandering, and I just never connected with the characters in a meaningful way. Every scene seemed to go on a bit longer than it needed to, and while I was never all-out bored, I was never particularly riveted, either. Some of the subplots were more interesting than others, but to be honest they all kind of over-stayed their welcome to a certain extent. Meh. That’s really the best way to describe my feelings about this movie.  **1/2

No comments: