Saturday, July 18, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN (2009) - July 18, 2009
Awful. About... I don't know, giant robots? The plot -- even more so here than in the first one -- is definitely secondary to the spectacle and the explosions and the seemingly neverending action sequences. Cram-packed with the type of juvenile humour that Michael Bay seems to love (the movie was officially dead to me once John Turturro made reference to a Transformer's scrotum) and horrible dialogue to match, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that this was written by the same people who wrote the exhilarating Star Trek reboot. I can only assume that Bay himself had a hand in the actual writing of the script. Though I was never into the movie to any real degree, I wasn't all-out bored -- until they arrived in Egypt. Shortly thereafter began an excruciatingly long action sequence which just went on, and on, and on -- I can't even remember the last time I was that bored in a movie theatre. It was brutal. At some point during this scene I came to the realization that a bomb could have dropped and killed every single character, and I wouldn't have cared in the slightest. So awful. As far as Michael Bay's movies go, this wasn't quite as bad as the horrendous Bad Boys 2 -- but it's close. 1/2*

No comments: