Wednesday, October 10, 2007

We Own the Night

WE OWN THE NIGHT (2007) - Oct. 10, 2007
Wow! I guess I need to watch the Yards again. Though I remember that movie as being interminably slow, if this film is any indication then James Gray is a much better director than I gave him credit for. Gray, who obviously has more than a passing affection for crime movies of the '70s, takes his time telling this story, but it's absolutely never boring, and riveting in parts (including one of the most thrilling car chases of recent memory, and a really fantastic scene in which a drug deal goes horribly wrong). This is definitely a character-driven film, so it helps that the performances are uniformly excellent. Joaquin Phoenix, in particular, gives a really stunning performance that's probably his best ever. Maybe it helps that I went into this film with very low expectations, but I liked it quite a lot. ***1/2

No comments: