Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Serenity

SERENITY (2005) - Sept. 28, 2005
While this was definitely entertaining all the way through, it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be. It probably didn't help that I've only seen one episode of the show, and the movie seems like it would work best if you're already familiar with the characters and their universe. The main problem is that the film never really slows down to allow us to get to know the characters (since they were already developed on the show, presumably); it just moves from plot point to plot point. There was also a richness to the pilot episode that this movie felt like it was lacking -- you really got a sense of the universe itself in that episode, but the movie seemed to be straight to business. I still enjoyed it, but I think perhaps I'll be able to appreciate it more when I watch all the episodes of the show. ***

No comments: