Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003) - March 2, 2004
Wow! I can't believe it, but I really liked this movie. It probably helps that I went in with low expectations. But then again, I went into the second one with low expectations and I still didn't much care for it. After around nine hours, I can finally say that I care about pretty much all of the characters. Sean Astin in particular was really good as a loyal companion to Frodo. The special effects were pretty amazing. The big battle with the elephants was probably one of the better movie battles ever. Very rarely did the special effects seem too computery. George Lucas could certainly learn a thing or two from Peter Jackson. I was certainly entertained all the way through, which is pretty good considering that the movie was over three hours. It almost makes me want to rewatch the other two. Almost... ***1/2
UPDATE - March 3, 2004 - I've been thinking about this movie a lot today. In fact this is probably the most a movie has occupied my thoughts since Kill Bill. Four stars? Perhaps. I'll have to watch it again, hopefully soon.

No comments: